Max's Brushes with Greatness
Real run-ins with actual semi-famous people!
- I bumped into Joe Montana at the Palo Alto airport; we
were both pre-flighting our planes. His was blocking mine.
- I gave a videoconferencing demonstration to Seal when
he was visiting Apple. He was unimpressed.
- My stepdad was in the same West Point class with "Stormin'"
Norman Schwarzkopf. Everyone made a big deal about how
smart Norm was supposed to be, but my stepdad graduated thirteen places
above him. Of course, Norm has been on TV a lot more ...
- I saw Danny Glover scurrying through the Denver airport.
- While working at a computer store in a mall, I tried to sell
a TI 99/4a computer to the then-president of Texas Instruments,
J. Fred Busey, without knowing who he was.
- I shook hands with Lorne Greene at an awards ceremony
in high school.
- At another awards ceremony I shook hands with the then-governor
of Texas, Mark White.
- Malcolm Gillis, president of Rice University, personally
wanted me thrown in jail, for reasons I am not at liberty to discuss.
- I went to college with Allen Fiuzat, the guy who played
the boy in the Benji movies.
- Richard Feynman guest-lectured to my summer school
physics class that I took at Caltech. He recalled the story of
his oral Ph.D. exams, in which he was asked whether red was on the
outside or inside of a rainbow, and got it wrong. He then said
he'd forgotten the right answer. He tried to re-derive it on the
blackboard and got it wrong again.
- I went to elementary school with Dallas Cowboy quarterback
Roger Staubach's daughters. Some other old Dallas Cowboy
players lived in our neighborhood; I had a crush on the daughter
of linebacker D.D. Lewis, and delivered the newspaper to center
John Fitzgerald (who always tipped big).
- One of my old roommates, Jeff Hagen, designed the seats
on the space shuttle. (Links to pictures forthcoming.)
- My friend Giselle's sister-in-law is Tanya Donelly, pop
star formerly of Throwing Muses and Belly. I had the
privledge of being in the wedding party with her.
- I met the woman who, as a little girl, was the girl who yelled
"Doodie! Doodie!" in the pool scene in Caddyshack.
- I had a brief conversation with Oracle CEO Larry Ellison
when he was practicing take-offs and landings at the Half Moon Bay
airport. I asked him a couple of questions about his French fighter
jet (I had thought it was a MiG). The last thing I said was, "I would
sell my soul for a ride in that thing." After that he ignored me.
Last updated 30 Dec 97 by max